Pages

March 13, 2023

Snow and more snow

We have now lived here a year and a half! 18 inches expected this week. Usually I like snow, but right now we've had so much and I long for warm weather.  I want to hang our clothes outside on the line.  We have managed without a dryer, using two wooden racks to dry our clothes by the woodstove when it's rainy or snowy.  I am eager to plant our garden. Our zucchini, tomatoes, beets and carrots did well. Everything grew better here in upstate NY than it grew in southern OH.  I think the soil has less clay in it and stays moist but drains well. Last year, we planted 3 clumps of rhubarb, several canes of raspberries and 20 strawberry plants.  I hope they all come back.

The little lamb I was calling Dotty passed away peacefully.  She didn't seem to be in any pain, thankfully.  We all had such hopes that she would pull through.

6 comments:

Becki said...

That is a lot of snow! And that 18 inches is to be on top of snow you already have?!? How kind that your family took care of Dottie. I didn't know what to hope for when you wrote she couldn't stand. I'm glad for you all that she didn't appear to be in pain.

Just to check... are you getting my comments? I left one yesterday, and I thought another one recently that hasn't shown up. I guess if this one shows up and the others didn't I have to assume it is an error on my part.

Gretchen Joanna said...

Do you ever hang up your clothes outside in winter to freeze dry? I remember reading about that in the Little House books or somewhere like that. Of course, it wouldn't work while the snow is coming down. :-)

karen said...

wow a year and a half has gone fast for me! I've been here almost 2 years in July. Time flies!!

pleximama said...

We wish snow was something that could be shared, because we've had none here and would gladly take your latest 18" off your hands! Good strength to you for the rest of Lent!

Hena Tayeb said...

Sorry to hear about Dotty. Hope you get some warm weather soon.

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Hello and thank you for your visit and comment. Like pleximama, I wouldn't mind having 18 inches of snow for a little while. Here in San Diego, that would be quite an event! Everything would probably come to a complete halt till it melted away.