Pages

July 24, 2020

Souvenirs from Alaska

We got quite a few souvenirs on our trip.  These 3 oz. espresso mugs are beautiful. I got these silver + jade earrings for $20, for myself.  Did you know jade is the Alaskan state gem?  There is a jade mountain in Seward.
 This souvenir below didn't last long... Moose's Tooth pizza!
Lots of stickers!  There's an oval one in the middle from Flying Squirrel, we stopped there twice.  Their olive oil baguettes are scrumptious and the hot drinks are also great!  We bought a reindeer carpet.
Ulus. You can place it in this bone holder.  I watched several videos to learn how to use it.
I've used it several times, to chop onions, et cetera, and really like it.  Which one do you like best?
We bought an ulu for our friend and one for us, from the Magic Carpet, a gift shop in Healy, AK, just a 1/4 north of the entrance to Denali National Park, the maker is Dancing Man.  At the same shop, I bought a burl bowl and gave it to my mom, so I don't have a photo of it, but will take one...
What is a burl? It's a bump, a knotty growth on a tree.  We saw quite a few in the woods.
Next, I plan to make a photo book and enlarge some photos.

Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

gretchenjoanna said...

What fascinating mementos! I've never heard of an ulu, but I love knives, so if I go to Alaska I will look for one. And a reindeer rug would be so romantic and cozy!!

elizabeth said...

Really lovely things you got!!! I am so glad you had this special trip!

Becki said...

So many great souvenirs you brought back from your trip. That reindeer rug is really awesome looking. :)