Pages

June 28, 2021

Apostles Peter and Paul

Today starts the Apostles fast, which culminates on the feast of Saints Peter and Paul. We abstain from animal products, and hope that we may draw closer to God.  I picked black raspberries while at the monastery in Hiram, OH.  The monk, Father Nectarios, gave us a tour of the place.
There's the chapel in the back, near the cemetery.  Inside, it's mostly wood and quite beautiful in its simplicity.  We hiked through the woods.
This is the main church.  It has many icons of saints from all over the world covering the interior walls.  My favorites were the saints from Ireland and Wales.
We brought Somalian frankincense home with us.  It was only $20 for a half pound jar.  Large raw chunks that were scraped from a tree and then dry.  Its scientific name is Boswellia Carteri.
I've made more bracelets with olive wood beads and amazonite to sell!  And here is a little icon of the Apostles Peter and Paul that I cut from a catalog and glued to wood.  

3 comments:

gretchenjoanna said...

I was recently given a block of incense, and now I need to learn how to burn it! That is something I've never done at home. Your monastery visit sounds so blessed. Thank you for sharing!

Our Sts Peter and Paul fast is just one day this year! But we still had a fast-free week. Seems so indulgent ;-) May the Lord bless your fast and your feast!

pleximama said...

The monastery you visited looks so lush and peaceful. Building time in our schedules for visiting monasteries is such an important habit. Your boys are blessed to be doing that at such an early age.

It's so neat to see your creative outlets! I am interested in those bracelets...where do you sell them?

Martha said...

We love the monasteries. We went to the one in Wayne, WV in May. It is so good for the children to meet the monks and see this way of life. I started selling them through Instagram, but will post the ones that I have made here with prices! I'm glad you like them.