Pages

December 29, 2023

Dried orange slices

I thinly sliced 2 oranges and let them dry on a tray with parchment paper on top of our wood stove.
Our 5 year old has been drawing a lot recently.  You can see he drew 3 tubes in the person above and, he said this person is eating chocolate.  Below, is a drawing of him and the two different ice cream shops that he likes on either side. Then, a chocolate birthday cake with 6 candles for his next birthday, which he cut out after coloring his drawing.
My nieces came to NY for a conference.  Here they are with Elijah.  My sister and family gave this soft and warm lion snowsuit to him.  It's 3-6 month size.  I have to take a photo of him with the hood, so you can see how cute it is...
I got a new journal as a gift and like how one can circle the date atop the page.
Paul got a Yoda blanket from one of his big sisters.  We're looking ahead to celebrating Nativity on Jan. 7th, which is Dec. 25th, on the Julian calendar.  I hope it snows then!  We've had nothing but warm weather and lots of rain this past week. 
There is a proposal for 2 wind turbines (650 feet tall!) to be installed a few miles from our home. I've heard many things about how they will produce very little energy, and with the manufacture and transportation, in the end -19% investment!  To install such a big turbine, they will need to prepare the land and blast a hole, so a 15 foot concrete foundation can be poured.  The well water and ecosystem may be affected. There are also other places with turbines and the noise it makes is a pitch we can't hear, like a dog whistle, but can harm our neurological system. We fear it will be the start of even more.

7 comments:

Gretchen Joanna said...

Look at all those things that would smell really good if I were there in person. Gingerbread and chocolate and cookies with pecans... and orange slices! Your house is host to a Homey-Christmasy blend of scents. <3

Becki said...

Martha, I appreciate the information about wind turbines. I had no idea about these concerns you've made known. I think I will look into this more.

The baby is growing well, and looking so cute. I'm not all that familiar with the Orthodox calendar, but thinking you must be a Christmas season (maybe Advent?) leading up to January 7th, I hope it is a blessed time for your family.

karen said...

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

pleximama said...

What festive photos! Elijah is getting so big. I am not a fan of wind turbines, and I am sorry there will be one close to you.

Anonymous said...

I agree. I didn't know how many adverse issues came with the wind turbines. I only thought they break up the beautiful landscapes.

Anonymous said...

Thank you!

karen said...

hm, a wind turbine...I don't know what I would think about that. Love the photos of you and your family!! Baby E is growing fast. Glad you had time with your family!