Pages

September 1, 2015

Goji berry scones

We made these goji berry scones today. The recipe was on the back of the package:
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 tsp salt (I didn't add, b/c I used salted butter)
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/2 cup dried goji berries
1/2 cup dried soy nuts
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
Preheat oven to 425.  In a large bowl stir together flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and salt.  Cut in butter, stir in berries and nuts.  Whisk together egg and milk, add to flour mixture, stirring just until well-combined (over mixed and the dough won't be fluffy).  Pat into a pan so that it's about 1/2 inch thick, sprinkle with sugar and bake for 18-22 minutes.  Makes 8 scones.
*I omitted the soy nuts, next time I may add chopped pecans, I think it would be nice.
Also, I'm sure this recipe would be good if you wanted to substitute dried black currants or chopped dried apricots for the goji berries.  I ♥ experimenting in the kitchen.
This morning I had an appointment at the hospital to check on baby.   They did a NST (non-stress test), which involved me being hooked up to 2 belts, one monitoring the baby's heart rate, the other my contractions.  I was having some contractions, but couldn't feel them.  It may be because I've been taking an herbal supplement, "Gentle Birth" for 7 weeks now and my uterus has been working its muscles because of it.
The doctor also did a BPP (biophysical profile), which she did using the ultrasound.  I hadn't had an ultrasound yet, so she asked if I wanted to know if baby was a boy or girl, Rob and I decided we've waited this long we can wait a little longer.  The main things they were looking for were baby's breathing, body movement, muscle tone and amniotic fluid in all 4 quadrants.  There is enough fluid, I could tell, because I can feel baby moving a lot.  So, baby passed and we will continue to wait, no need to be induced at this point.  We were very happy.

2 comments:

Rosemary said...

How exciting this is for your family! Enjoy every moment of it and I'm glad you want to be surprised by the baby's sex, and why not? Life should have lots of beautiful surprises. Be well and have a glorious and safe birth! God bless you and the family!

elizabeth said...

Lovely! God bless you! and baby! those scones look great! Praying for you!