Pages

May 1, 2020

Sourdough starter

I've got a new hobby.  It's baking with sourdough starter, instead of yeast, for bread.  I made crumpets for the 1st time about a month ago.  It sounds fancy, but really is simple, and V E G A N:

C R U M P E T S

2 c. sourdough starter
1 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
1 T. sugar or honey (this morning I used a mashed banana instead, so it was more like a pancake)

Mix together and pour onto a skillet with a bit of oil on it. I find it's easier without rings (who needs a perfectly round one?), one less thing to wash.
Flip and let cook about a minute.  I top mine with jam (Bonne Maman is my favorite right now, and I'm reusing the jars for starter and other things) and I enjoy mine with a hot cup of tea.
I usually use a little less starter, never measure it, just guess, what would be the amount I "discard" daily.  I think it's pretty cool that the starter + baking soda react with each other, an acid and base.  Chemistry in the kitchen!

Recipe creditCultures for health and the King Arthur flour crumpet recipe on their website.

I also made artisan loaves of bread, focaccia, crepes, two batches of kulich (for Pascha, the first one came out a bit too doughy but the second one was better because I let it rise longer, overnight), and pizza dough. 
Our outdoor pizza oven is heated by wood.
Parmesan after baking!  We made pizza last week on my husband's birthday.
Inside the 1st batch of kulich.  Not right, but still edible.
 Cheese pascha makes everything better.
One cup of starter in a large bowl, add 2 cup water, 4 cups flour, 1 teaspoon salt and mix well.  Knead.  Let rise overnight.  And bake at 400 for 45 minutes or thereabouts.  There are so many great recipes and varieties a flower that you can use tomorrow I'm going to our farmers market and picking up some spelt and rye flour.
Garlic + basil from our yard.
I made herb-cheddar rolls!  Using a sourdough based dough, it wasn't ideal, but still scrumptious!
Hope you have a great weekend.  What are you making or baking?

1 comment:

GretchenJoanna said...

Bravo! Sourdough breadmaking is so much fun -- and with that amazing oven you have, oh my. Thank you for sharing all the appetizing pictures :-)