Pages

December 28, 2011

Sewing lesson with an 8 year old...

When a button falls off, you can simply sew it back on, if you know how to sew. It's really quite simple, I think it should be taught at age 4 or 5 to all children, using:
  • felt
  • embroidery floss
  • a large blunt-tip needle (NOT plastic, the tip bends easily, making it frustrating)
  • scissors (let them make free form shapes)
  • buttons or beads
  • lace (it's easy to get the needle through)
I taught Hannah to sew using a sewing machine just after she turned 9. She has been sewing quite a bit this past week...making pillows. I thought it was time to show Olivia how to use it, too. She pressed the pedal hard when I said to put the foot down, I meant "put the foot down on the fabric" not her foot on the pedal. Laughing and learning... Olivia sewed a small pillow yesterday...her first project! We need more stuffing. I would like to get something besides the polyester fill available at most stores...any suggestions on where to get a soft natural fill?

5 comments:

Allison said...

How wonderful! It looks like a fun lesson.

Traci Sumner said...

Have any wool roving? Or if you don't want a soft pillow, you could try rice for a boo-boo bag, or dried cherry pits.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree with this post more. Great work mama!

Lee Ann said...

What a wonderful idea!!

Valerie said...

I love that you are teaching your daughters to sew, a gift that they will use their whole lives! With a sewing machine, anything is possible!
xx, Val