Pages

February 13, 2018

Crepes or cake?

Crepes or cake?
Both, please.
I put cream cheese and some leftover baked salmon in this one.  I love our re-play plates, made in the USA.
These 2 girls took a pottery class 2 weeks ago and when they got their finished vessels, they got a gift certificate for a half pound of chocolate from this shop:
This morning, I made crepes.  I used the recipe from Sweet Serendipity.  Their recipe calls for chocolate syrup, but I used sweetened condensed milk instead:
  •  large eggs
  •  c water
  •  tablespoon rum or 1  tablespoon vanilla extract
  •  tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
  • 1/4  c sweet condensed milk
  • 1/2  c flouor

DIRECTIONS:


  1. In a large bowl, whisk eggs. Add water, sweetened condensed milk, rum or vanilla, melted butter, and stir. Whisk in flour slowly, so no lumps form. Do not overmix; stop as soon as the flour is completely incorporated.
  2. In a crepe pan or large nonstick skillet, melt 1 teaspoon of butter over medium-high heat. Have two clean plates ready. When butter bubbles, quickly pour in one ladle (about 2 tablespoons) of crepe batter and roll the pan around so the entire bottom is covered in a very thin layer. Cook the crepe, shaking once or twice to prevent sticking, until most but not all of the batter on top has set, or the bottom is golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
  3. Slide the crepe onto a plate, cooked side down. Quickly invert the plate into the pan, flipping the crepe. (If you're feeling brave, you can use a thin bladed spatula or palette knife to flip the crepe over.) Cook another 1-2 minutes, until golden brown. Slide onto the second to cool.
  4. Continue with remaining batter, adding more butter as necessary, stacking crepes on top of each other on second plate.
  5. There are so many different ways to serve these, savory like I made or sweet. Spread a crepe with cream cheese (plain or flavored), sprinkle with fresh cut fruit, roll up, and serve with whipped cream.

I put an old photo on one of our tables and Paul knew right away it was his Peepaw, who passed away 3 months before he was born.  We talk about him a lot.  And look at old photos.  It makes me happy that he knows him, after all, he was named after him.

I hope to make this cake, to be perfectly honest, I have orange marmalade that we're trying to use up:
http://www.azgrabaplate.com/orange-marmalade-pistachio-bundt-cake/

P.S. I have a sweet tooth just like my dad did...oh, my mom is feeling better!

No comments: