Pages

May 16, 2008

Rhubarb

It is a rhubarb flower! Jessica....you've won!!! I bought this plant just last year and was so happy to see it flourishing this year.

"Consider French crepes with a sweet, ginger-orange-rhubarb compote and vanilla ice cream." I will try making crepes, filled with yogurt, instead and the compote on top:

2 eggs

1/2 cup milk

1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar

1/2 cup flour

Unsalted butter for skillet

1 tablespoon orange or tangelo marmalade

Blueberry stuffing, recipe follows

Rhubarb compote, recipe follows

Mint, for garnish


Blueberry Stuffing:

1 cup blueberries

1 tablespoon granulated maple sugar or syrup

1/2 cup sour cream


Rhubarb Compote:

2 cups cut up fresh or frozen rhubarb

2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate

1/4 cup sugar

1 tablespoon cornstarch

Whisk the eggs and milk together in a bowl. Whisk in the salt, sugar, and flour. Set aside for 30 minutes. Melt about 1/2-teaspoon butter in a nonstick 8 to 10-inch skillet over medium heat. When it foams, pour or ladle in about 2 tablespoons of batter. Lift and swirl the pan so the batter coats the bottom. Set pan on the burner and cook just until set and the underside is lightly browned. Using a spatula or your fingers, flip and cook until the other side is lightly browned. Transfer to a plate and continue with remaining batter. Blueberry Stuffing: In a bowl, gently fold together the blueberries, maple sugar and sour cream. Rhubarb Compote: To make the compote, place the rhubarb, orange juice concentrate, sugar, and cornstarch in a saucepan and cook until the fruit falls apart and the mixture thickens. To serve, place the crepes on a platter and schmear with marmalade. Place a spoonful of the blueberry filling down the center and roll up the crepe. Repeat with remaining crepes. Top off with some rhubarb compote and mint.


My sister, Mary, told me about this recipe-search: http://allrecipes.com/Search/Ingredients.aspx
What a great way to find the perfect recipe for any unusual ingredients you may want to use!
For breakfast this morning, we had oatmeal. Why are they rolled? I bought steel-cut, but would like to get the whole oat, I realize it will take longer to cook, but that's the way God may them and how I'd like them...less-processed and perhaps a lower price to go along.

I'm going to print a thumbnail of this photo...

...to put on this ATC I made yesterday. It's the first time she's had curlers in her hair. I think she's so cute. Unfortunately, her hair is so straight (and beautiful, but the teacher wants them to have curly hair for the recital)....that it didn't last long at all. Andrea brought over her hot-curling iron but that didn't last either (we added mousse and hairspray, too).

P.S. An ATC is an "artist trading card." Usually 2.5 x 3.5" the same size of a playing card (as in a deck of cards) that folks started decorating and trading just for fun. I have joined a few swaps, but really love to make them for myself. A mini work of art, doesn't take much time & I add it to my sleeve of cards (7gypsies manufactures a holder, or put them in a small box....or you can get a baseball card sleeve to go in a binder, if you like)!

4 comments:

Kim Watson said...

My grandmother used to make us Rhubarb pie, fresh from here garden, all the time when we were growing up. But I don't remember the flower. Well done Jessica.
x

Unknown said...

Very Cool! Thank you very much! I love rhubarb. I just used up last year's from the freezer, so I can make room for this years!

Your ATC is very sweet. Are you a shy girl?

::Sylvia:: said...

Thanks, now I know what ATC's are! I think I'll start making some! Love the rollers btw!

Christina Carnoy said...

yummy, I love rhubarb! I had a really delicious rhubarb cream pie once, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm...