Pages

March 22, 2010

Kulich

This is the traditional Russian bread made and enjoyed on Pascha, or our Lord's Resurrection. I went to the store and got all the ingredients today and plan to bake tomorrow!
Click on the box to see the recipe up close...then, if you've never made it...consider it...tastes rich and delicious, a bit like the Italian panettone.

Next week, we'll dye eggs, I've successfully dyed my eggs with yellow onion skins to a reddish brown, I like to rub the eggs with a bit of oil on a paper towel to give it a little shine. I'm going to try some new colors this year.

Natural Dyes

Color Ingredients
Lavender Small Quantity of Purple Grape Juice
Violet Blossoms plus 2 tsp Lemon Juice
Red Zinger Tea
Violet Blue Violet Blossoms
Small Quantity of Red Onions Skins (boiled)
Hibiscus Tea
Red Wine
Blue Canned Blueberries
Red Cabbage Leaves (boiled)
Purple Grape Juice
Green Spinach Leaves (boiled)
Liquid Chlorophyll
Greenish Yellow Yellow Delicious Apple Peels (boiled)
Yellow Orange or Lemon Peels (boiled)
Carrot Tops (boiled)
Celery Seed (boiled)
Ground Cumin (boiled)
Ground Turmeric (boiled)
Chamomile Tea
Green Tea
Golden BrownDill Seeds
Brown Strong Coffee
Instant Coffee
Black Walnut Shells (boiled)
Black Tea
Orange Yellow Onion Skins (boiled)
Cooked Carrots
Chili Powder
Paprika
Pink Beets
Cranberries or Juice
Raspberries
Red Grape Juice
Juice from Pickled Beets
RedLots of Red Onions Skins (boiled)
Canned Cherries with Juice
Pomegranate Juice
Raspberries
found here: http://chemistry.about.com/od/holidayhowtos/a/eastereggdyes.htm

5 comments:

amy said...

This looks beautiful! Thanks for sharing the recipe; I'll have to give it a try. I've never tried to make kulich, although I've had some at the Russian Orthodox monastery near me ~ delicious!

...thanks, too, for your kind words on my blog.

May God bless you & your loved ones and may the sun shine warm upon your face.

Pres. Kathy said...

Thanks for the natural dyes. I was thinking about these the other days.

Molly Sabourin said...

Martha, your Pascha basket is going to be so beautiful and festive! Blessings to you and your family as you prepare for Holy Week!

stacey said...

I hope your bread turned out yummy!
I love freshly baked bread:)

Thanks for the listing the natural egg dyes, that is a great idea. I might try these- I will let you know.

Have a Happy Easter!

Meadowlark Days said...

Wow - can't wait to see those eggs! Please share photos.