Pages

September 18, 2013

Baked acorn squash with chopped apples

It's almost fall...the autumnal equinox is Sept. 22nd, just a few days away.  The weather has turned cooler and I'm ready for homemade bread, warm soup and baked squash.
We harvested just 4 acorn squash from our backyard.  I cut 2 in half and scooped out the seeds, filled them up with chopped apples, butter, brown sugar, all spice and cinnamon and baked them.  Mmmm!  I used this recipe as inspiration:  http://www.simplybloomblog.com/2011/10/baked-acorn-squash-with-cinnamon-apples.html
We still have quite a few apples...so juiced 8 of them (about 2 apples yields a cup of cider) for lunch yesterday.  Olivia doesn't like the froth on top, so I spooned it off and ate it.  To complete the meal, we had chicken and carrot salad.
 
Yesterday, we did a fun activity inspired by this culinary lesson, since my printer is out of ink, we used the paper bags from Trader Joe's to get "silverware" and make a placemat of proper setting...
 This morning I'm making prosphora as the girls work on their homeschooling lessons independently. It's the first time I've made prosphora in 3-4 months!  As I knead, I'm thinking of the little girl, Salome, who died last February, her parents left us flour.  I'm using that to make prosphora for our church.  I pray that her family, who is now back in Ukraine, is doing well.  ♥  
For lunch today, I am going to make borscht...a soup made with beets and cabbage.

1 comment:

elizabeth said...

Memory Eternal!

*

what a blessing to be able to make prosphera!