Pages

September 13, 2018

Spinach triangles

My dad's 68th birthday would have been this past Sunday September 9th.  It's been 3 years plus a few months since his repose.  We made "spanikopita," or spinach triangles, which he loved, to share at the meal after Liturgy:
https://www.thespruceeats.com/spinach-pie-with-feta-spanakopita-1706022
Although this recipe isn't exactly what I did, it is similar...I simplified it.
I bought a package of Pepperidge Farm puff pastry and cut the 2 "sheets" into a total of 18 squares.
I put a dallop of the spinach, onion, egg, feta in the center and folded it over pinching the seams.  I brushed egg on top.
 Baked and looking beautifully browned:
We'll make them again soon.

4 comments:

Jeannette said...

That is a sweet way to remember your father...something he loved to share.
I will share with you a link to the way I was taught to make spanakopita from a friend from Macedonia. Yours are perhaps better for making for a large group, but for a smaller gathering or just the family maybe you will try these sometime...so good:

GretchenJoanna said...

I love your idea of using puff pastry instead of phyllo - that certainly does simplify things, and makes me more hopeful of making these delicious triangles!! They might actually resemble more the pastries I ate in Turkey so long ago, which had the same type of filling but were not made with phyllo...

Martha said...

The link didn't show up for me, Jeanette. Can you try again?

Becki said...

How great to share with others a food your father loved as a way of remembering him on his birthday. Your version of spanakopita looks delicious!