Pages

August 29, 2012

A self-portrait

Norman Rockwell, 1960 (he took a photo and then painted and changed things to make it the way he wanted)
Vincent Van Gogh, 1889 (self-portrait with palette in hand)

Frida Kahlo, 1926 (she painted many self-portraits)





Every year we draw self-portraits at the beginning of the school year.  It's so much fun to see how you have progressed as an artist and to see what you notice or choose to add to the portrait to express your unique personality or style or emotion.  Do you or your children enjoy drawing themselves?  What traditions do you have for the start of each school year?
Mary Cassatt, 1880 (I ♥ that you can see the canvas she is working on IN the painting)

2 comments:

Jeannette said...

What a tease...let's see the ones you all drew!

Laura said...

I agree! Let's see yours!

My oldest did a family portrait last spring, and I just loved how it turned out. I love the idea of doing a self-portrait every year. I'll have to hold on to this idea.