Pages

August 15, 2012

Homemade cherry pie...

I bought a lot of cherries...and since the weather was cool, I thought I'd bake a cherry pie.  For the crust, I used Hilah's pie crust recipe, but doubled it, so I could have enough dough to do a lattice top:
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  •  2/3 cup coconut oil (I got mine at Trader Joe's $5.99 for a 16 oz. jar)
  • 1/4 cup cold water 
  • a pinch of salt
I put everything in the freezer for about 5 minutes, then mixed well in my food processor, rolled out half of the dough for the bottom crust.  For the filling, I pitted the cherries and gently combined all the following ingredients:
  • 4 cups fresh cherries
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons corn starch
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • Sprinkle of sea salt
I like simple recipes.  I used this vegan cherry pie recipe as inspiration, but simplified things.  I baked the pie at 350' F for a little longer than 30 minutes.  If you make this, you'll need to buy 2 to 3 pounds of cherries.  Enjoy!  ♥

3 comments:

Mama Shara said...

YUM! We love cherries, but they are so expensive here, that we only get a small amount around Christmas as a "treat". Hope the pie was delish!!

Mimi said...

I'd never thought of using coconut oil in a pie crust. What a great idea.

Hilah said...

Thanks for linking! Your pie looks delicious. I bet the coconut flavor was magical with the cherries.