Pages

February 14, 2014

I ♥ this...

I made this really delicious chicken and avocado salad with cilantro.  We will be making it again very soon. 
Olivia really likes to use the Rainbow Loom and make stuff.  She made 16 bracelets to give to the kids in our homeschooling group today. 
 Jenny read the life of St. Valentine, as the children wrote messages for each other. 
With God's guidance, Father Steven picked the patron saint of our homeschooling group today.  A couple weeks ago, each family had done some research and picked out a saint they liked.  The children stood up and made presentations on each saint.  Many of the saints had beautiful lives or struggled with learning and through prayers were able to overcome any difficulties.  There was:
  • the 3 hierarchs (St. Basil, St. Gregory and St. John)
  • St. Catherine the Great
  • St. John of Kronstadt
  • St. Sergius of Radonezh
  • St. Emmelia
  • St. Artemis
And now, it is....  the St. John of Kronstadt Orthodox homeschooling group of Cincinnati area!  From this website, http://www.fatheralexander.org/booklets/english/johnkr_e.htm:

"his intellectual development was delayed, for he had great difficulty in learning to read" and "he prayed earnestly for divine enlightenment, and one morning, after he had risen during the night and prayed while his companions slept, he found himself able to read easily, and to understand what he had read."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This description of St. John of Kronstadt was so meaningful to me - I read it after worrying intensely about my son who has learning issues. Thanks for your blog! Katayoun

Martha said...

Katayoun, I hope you will also be inspired by reading the life of St. Sergius here (http://www.st-sergius.org/life1.html), as I have a child who struggles with reading. ♥ It's all up to God.

Anonymous said...

Martha:

Thanks for the link on St. Sergius - also very helpful. Yes, it is up to God, but I often forget that!

Prayers for your dear little friend Sophia, Katayoun

Anthony Munaco said...

Martha, my family and I will be moving to cincinnati this June. I'm hoping to get connected at Christ the Savior and came across your blog in my reading. We are also a homeschooling family so inward especially delighted to read about the homeschool group. I would love to chat with you about the parish and also about the city as we are looking for a rental home. Would you email me at mamunaco@gmail.com? Thanks! Melissa