Pages

June 16, 2022

I can't smile

I went to the emergency room Tuesday morning because I thought it may have had a stroke. The right side of my face is unresponsive. I can't smile and my eye isn't working right. Thank God I did not have a stroke, but it turns out that I have Bell's Palsy, a temporary paralysis that happens to one side of your face. Talking, drinking and eating are hard!
To celebrate Pentecost and Trinity Monday, the monastery decorated with trees and beautiful greenery and flowers around the icons.  
Below, I thought this description of Bell's palsy was spot on, for me,
One may notice "pain behind their ear a day or two before they notice any weakness. Others comment that sounds seem abnormally and uncomfortably loud several days before the development of paralysis. Within a day or two, the paralysis usually reaches its peak. Most people start to recover within a couple of weeks and are completely recovered within three months"
From http://www.myhealth.gov.my/en/physiotherapy-management-bells-palsy/
Our neighbors pony gave birth!
I made cookies for a baptism!  My husband now has 2 Godchildren to pray for.  
Our 6 year old took this photo during the baptism.  After, I took this one of a friend reading to the siblings of the newly baptised, Juliana.
We got a Thrive market membership FREE since my husband is a veteran! It has great prices on natural laundry soap, foaming handsoap refills, grass-fed gelatin, oats, quinoa, many other organic pantry items and this tea, which I've had hot and used to make kombucha with... If you're interested, click here http://thrv.me/X39Xqm you'll get 40% off your 1st order and I'll get a $40 credit!
Farm wise, we are caring for a friend's 4 heritage hens and a gorgeous rooster, plus their white female goat, in the first photo.  The flies are awful around the cows.  The lambs are growing and their horns are as well.  I think one of our kittens is pregnant.  They will be 9 months old in a few days.  I called a vet in March when they were 6 months old to inquire about a spay appointment and was told to call back in May, as they were booked solid (I guess that's normal for the country?) and none of our neighbors have cats, so I thought it's not urgent. They've been great barn cats, we give them food in the morning and they catch mice often! We'll see what's next.  If kittens arrive, it will be fun for our boys and such a good lesson.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Martha, sorry to hear about your health problem. I had Bell's palsy several times, already when I was 3 years old. Over time I learned that I always develop this disease when I am exposed to cold air or ventilation systems,also if i am sitting directly in the path of an air cooling stream, even against an opened window. I always wear cotton plugs (from face cleaning pads) in my ears, or simply cover my had. Also as soon as I have a smal pain behind the ear i would take some aspirin or diclofenac (available in Europe), but be careful with your stomach. Medicinal alcohol on the ear plugs also helps but on short term to avoid skin irritation. For now you should follow the treatment recommended by your doctors. My recommendations are only to prevent it. Best wishes, Cristina

pleximama said...

Oh, goodness! those symptoms must have been alarming. I’m praying you have a quick and complete recovery.

Brooke said...

Martha, I'm so glad you are okay! I hope the symptoms resolve soon. Have you left IG?

Becki said...

Oh my goodness, Martha. I had no idea Bells Palsy was a symptom of Lyme Disease. How frightening that must have been. I do hope you recover totally and quickly. It must feel really good to have a chiropractor who has some therapies for you also.

GretchenJoanna said...

I will pray for you!