Pages

June 9, 2022

Making and mining

Peach jam!  First I scored each one, then boiled them for about a minute and peeled the skins off, chopped them up and cooked them with the Sure Jell pectin and sugar.  It didn't set up as well as store-bought jam, but we ate some on our peanut butter and jam sandwiches yesterday and it was just fine!
String cheese made into a mini octopus!

We went to the Herkimer "diamond" mine for a day with other homeschoolers!  It was great to be with friends.  Paul found several small quartz and we also brought some rocks with gray sparkly druzies.
I made panna cotta and we topped it with strawberry sauce.  We have plenty of milk! It's fun to try out new recipes.  I got this book The Art of Natural Cheesemaking by David Asher from the library and decided it was so good, we should buy a copy!  I bought it from the publisher, Chelsea Green, in Vermont.  We are trying not to buy anything through Amazon anymore.  I don't want to support them.  Anyhow, this book is excellent for those who want to make cheese using raw milk.  I want to try to make their string cheese next.

2 comments:

karen said...

My son would have loved mining growing up!! We once went arrowhead searching and did not find one (he was sad). I haven't made an apple pie in a long time! I love them.

pleximama said...

Golly, those peaches look good! I have had a request for a birthday peach pie. Trying to find a few good ones...