Pages

November 5, 2012

Election day is tomorrow!

Tomorrow I plan to make an election cake.  It's one that was made in huge batches 200 years ago:


"Election Cake: Thirty quarts of flour, 10 pound butter, 14 pound sugar, 12 pound raisins, 3 doz eggs, one pint wine, one quart brandy, 4 ounces cinnamon, 4 ounces fine colander seed, 3 ounces ground alspice; wet flour with milk to the consistence of bread over night, adding one quart yeast; the next morning work the butter and sugar together for half an hour, which will render the cake much lighter and whiter; when it has rise light work in every other ingredient except the plumbs, which work in when going into the oven. 
- Simmons, American Cookery, 1796."

If you haven't already figured out who you are voting for, there are many important issues and also other candidates running for jobs, other than the president in the election tomorrow.  Vote Smart is a good resource!

Yesterday I went with my mom right after church to a Parkinson's workshop.  It was really informative.  And there were wonderful stories.  I'll share one.  This man and his wife went for a walk in their neighborhood.  The man uses a walker and has difficulty with belt buckles and zippers, so now simply wears pants with an elastic waistband.  I admit I prefer those, too.  They are comfy.  Anyhow, as they are coming home, the man says to his wife "My pants are falling down."  She looks and responds "No, I can see they are just fine."  A few steps later, he says "My pants fell down."  Sure enough, they are around his ankles.  They laugh and she pulls them back up, and then see that the neighbors are standing in their yard!  Dad is like that, he uses his walker most the time and wears elastic pants, so I could completely see that happening one day.  I hope it doesn't, but if it does, it will just be a humbling thing, and that is good for one's soul, right?  My husband and girls stayed with Dad.  Then, when we got back, we all had dinner together.  ♥  

2 comments:

Jeannette said...

voted by mail...here's hoping!

JO said...

Will suspenders help ? Or adjustable elastics like the kids pants ?