Pages

November 9, 2012

Learning Russian in our home

Our 74 year old friend from church is teaching my daughter, Hannah, Russian.  She really wants to learn after going to camp this summer.  Many of her friends spoke Russian.  Last month we began to label items in our home, the clock, lamp, couch, living room, dining room, kitchen...
The stickers came in this book.  This workbook is geared for a tourist going to Russia, but we are customizing it to fit our needs.  So far, it is working perfectly for us!
When I was in school I studied Spanish for 5 years, Latin for 1 and then in college I took Russian for 2 years.  In my experience, learning a foreign language greatly improved my understanding of the English language.  I understood verbs, adjectives, prepositions better.  One of our favorite activities to do for fun is Madlibs, which came about in the 1950s.  I remember doing them as a child, and now I enjoy it with my own children!  We even made up our own.  Learning is fun and can be a part of everyday life!!!

5 comments:

elizabeth said...

Nice! good to learn languages when one is young... very good! was thinking of you today! :)

Liesl said...

I went to Germany when I was 16 and did the same thing---labeled things around the house to learn!

Mama Shara said...

Learning a second language is so much fun and really important! I studied German for 7 years at school. Although it is a bit rusty these days, I can still get the main point of a conversation!

My sister in law's Dad emigrated here from Italy in the 40's and worked for the national Telephone company for 40 years before being made redundant, he then when to college (here we call it TAFE) and studied Russian and Chinese, so he could converse with his neighbours!

I would really love to learn French, and have been using some cd's but I think I would do better with a native speaker as my teacher!

JO said...

Learned 5 languages growing up .... Simultaneously. It was easier to learn young . But mostly Asian languages. I'm a bit lost in Europe . Glad I speak some Spanish . German is difficult. Many Russians comes to Germany as immigrants & therefore I hear many Russians speaking Russian here.

Allison said...

That sounds like such a fun learning experience. I didn't start studying languages until much later, and I found it so hard. It's great that she starting young!